It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:10 pm

Welcome
Welcome to the Packer addicts.net forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: You can't duplicate intangibles
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:14 pm 

So I forgot to blog last week and it really made no difference. I've come to the realization that this Packers teams is going to continue to screw up, make the same mistakes and lose by just a handful of points no matter how many times I say they need to stop the run, play solid special teams, etc etc etc. This team has gotten sucked into this perpetual spiral that they can't break out of. It's not one players fault or one coaches fault or one GMs fault, its simply the way of life these days. Losing is just as contagious as winning, just ask the Losers.

When it's all said and done, there will be finger pointing, there will be second-guessing and that's to be expected. But I'm not AS worried/disappointed as everyone else and here's why. Two seasons ago the Packers were sitting at 4-8, and directionless. They rallied to win a couple games in a row to close the season beating up on Detroit and a couple teams that already had their postseason births locked up. They finished 8-8.
Last season they used some fortunate breaks, coupled with a weak schedule to put up a 13-3 season behind two aging tackles, two guards and a center who were no where near good enough, an average tightend, a D-line that couldn't rush the passer consistently and two safeties who were coverage liabilities.
And yet expectations are through the roof for this season somehow grasping at the idea that this team will duplicate the magic of the previous year. That somehow they would get get career years again from Nick Barnett, Al Harris, Atari Bigby, Corey Williams, and Ryan Grant. That somehow Mark Tauscher, Chad Clifton, KGB, and Brett Favre would prolong the the onset effects of old age and play at levels more accustomed to players 10 years younger. That somehow the 2008 version of the Packers would be able to do the same things that a team that plain and simple went on a roll and played above their abilities coupled with good fortune and no major injuries. All the intangibles went the Packers' way last season.
What I'm getting at here is that the Packers were a surprise last year, that they arrived well ahead of schedule for a team that is rebuilding. This team is still rebuilding and I think they are still on the upswing. The problem with last season is that it set this year's team up for failure. You cannot plan on duplicating intangibles, plain and simple. So when looking back at how "disappointing" this team was this season its important to note that they are on the upswing, that they do have youth and skill at the right positions and that they are a couple solid players away from turning the corner into the perennial playoff contender they were in years past.

Post subject: Re: You can't duplicate intangibles
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:48 pm 

Optimistic but realistic ! Great job ! Keep those great posts coming ! 02714

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:07 pm 

Very well stated. We had so many injuries and bad breaks this year. Thanks for a more postive outlook . 001

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:26 pm 

We are a young football team...it's hard not to be upset and the fact we where only 1 game away from the Super Bowl. I do know that most of theses folks screaming about the Favre factor are so blinded by anger there not thinking straight. Nice post indeed ! 003

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:53 pm 

Nice post but a little too much silver lining for me. Our defensive scheme stinks...Thompson and Harrell are busts and we have some running game issues that need to be addressed. not being a party pooper here but more realistic.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:16 pm 

44blitz wrote:
Nice post but a little too much silver lining for me. Our defensive scheme stinks...Thompson and Harrell are busts and we have some running game issues that need to be addressed. not being a party pooper here but more realistic.

Which Thompson are you saying is a bust? Jeremy the D-end? He's a rookie 4th rounder, give him some time to mature.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:12 pm 
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Ryeguy812 wrote:
44blitz wrote:

Which Thompson are you saying is a bust? Jeremy the D-end? He's a rookie 4th rounder, give him some time to mature.

If he needs time too mature then should be on the practice squad not on the active roster 0660 . While I think you make some valid points I believe things are a tad bit more complicated then intangibles.